Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Gettin' Thrifty

It takes a little something special for my kids to rattle me anymore, but I'll admit I was surprised when our four-year-old started asking me "Is that your grandma's coat?" every time I put my jacket on. And he said it in such a sassy voice that I started to think I was missing something.

So I went to what is usually the source - his brothers. After they stopped laughing, they clued me in on a newish rap song called "Thrift Shop." What's surprising is that the title isn't slang for any kind of kinkiness (as you would expect from a rap song). It truly is about a thrift shop, and getting great deals on such items as broken keyboards, house slippers, and "dookie brown leather jackets". Seriously. It ends with a little kid laughing and asking, "Is that your grandma's coat?"

Ohhhh....

Alas, the hazards of having a preschooler as well as teenagers - the little guy sucks up big-boy lyrics like they're cherry Kool-Aid. I can only hope and pray he heard the clean radio edit of the song and not the original which is definitely NOT kid-friendly. But I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'm not sure I'd even bet a glass of cherry Kool-Aid on it.

Now that I'm in on the joke, I understand why little E has been strolling around the house talking about poppin' tags and lookin' incredible. But the absorption of catchy lyrics goes both ways, and what's too bad for the older kids is that preschool songs are sooooo much tougher to get out of your head. When one of the older boys gets called out by their friends for singing the theme song to Team Umizoomi while strolling along the high school halls, that will be payback enough.

Here's the earwig now:

THRIFT SHOP (PG Radio Edit Clean version) - MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS FEAT. WANZ from Garrett Wesley Gibbons on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Nessa said...

I've never heard of the song but now I'm intrigued. I'm at work so I can't watch it now. Although it is a little funny picturing a 4 year old quoting rap songs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails