Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Shake It Like a Polaroid Picture

Lately I’ve been trying hard to put myself “out there” and have more fun, even at the risk of looking like a complete and total idiot. So in the last few months, among other things, I have danced with wild abandon in public, joined a kickball league, and trained for my first 5K.

The hubs and I in our uniforms on the kickball field. Really.

And trust me – I have absolutely nooooo doubt that on many (most?) occasions I have looked like a complete and total idiot. I’m trying to just suck it up and move forward, disregarding what other people might think. As that wise old sage Dr. Seuss said, “Those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”

My son Cameron puts it in a much less eloquent, but more down-to-earth way: “Your friends like you anyway, and if anyone else thinks you look dumb, it’s not like they’re going to remember it 20 years from now, so who cares?”

That was his personal credo as he finished his 8th grade year, and I’ve never seen the kid have more fun. Sure, he lost his lifetime all-A status when he got his first report card B, but he also won the 8th grade “how long can you hold in a mouthful of water during math class?” title. So, there’s that.

However…It’s hard to get out there and shake your groove thang in public when that particular groove thing is so out of shape you could easily lose control of it and do seriously damage to innocent bystanders. I blame it on baby weight – 14 years worth.

A few months ago I was reading Cathy Zielske’s blog, which I follow religiously. Cathy is not only an amazing graphic designer and scrapbooker, she’s just supercool and I enjoy reading about her life.

Like me, Cathy’s not new to the battle of the bulge, but awhile ago she shared with her readers her new philosophy for getting into shape and it was so simple and so enlightening that I almost fell off my chair when I read it:

Move more, eat less.

This is where I give a tip of my hat, a kiss and a “yes dear, you were right all along” to the mister. Joe has been telling me for YEARS that those two principles are all anyone needs to lose and keep off weight.

His actual words were more like, “Fatties need to put down the cheeseburgers and get off the couch,” but you get the gist.

I will say that Joe is one of those very fit guys who only has to cut back on an extra order of fries to drop ten pounds, so it was easy to tell him to go to hell and then proceed to eat a whole bag of Doritos.

Plus, Cathy her own LOGO, for crying out loud.

Sorry Joe, but great design and awesome logos will always trump very supportive, loving life partners. You know how I roll. I may even have it tattooed on a prominent body part, or possibly stenciled on the ceiling of our bedroom as inspiration to get my fat ass out of bed in the morning.

I’ve been working out pretty steadily since January and although I’ve only lost around 20 pounds, I’m down almost three sizes. Plus, I feel FANTASTIC.

Joe has been instrumental in keeping me motivated, though verbal encouragement, a raised eyebrow when I take a second serving of something delicious, and by trotting alongside me as I attempt to run. In truth, he could probably take a leisurely walk and still keep up, but I take it as a public declaration of love that he actually simulates a running stride.

The only thing I can do without (and I’ve told him): that whole running-backwards-rooting-me-on thing. The fact that he can run backward and speak at the same time, and still be ahead of me, makes me want to punch him in the face.

Hmmm…as important as it is to develop my personal outlook and my fitness level, maybe it’s best for all involved if I focus on anger management next.

9 comments:

Veronica said...

Awesome! The whole fitness thing especially, but the paragraph where you want to punch Joe in the face really made me giggle.

Bryan said...

Love you Sis! You have been an inspiration as a mom, an inspiration as a writer and an inspiration as a person. Why shouldn't you be an inspiration for health and fitness?

Leah said...

You go girl! You get the "reuion hottie" award for sure!

Nat said...

Oh Cyndi, I have a BIG smile on my face after reading your blog! You crack me up while keeping it real. I copied and pasted the Dr. Seuss quote and it's on the fridge to remind my myself and my family to disregard what other people think and live it up.

Leah said...

REUNION hottie that is.

Amy Chic said...

You are a riot. I love this!! It is soooo true....It is a life long thing, think about it before you eat it :0) Oh and you could always live with my dad, when he says.."Do you really want to eat that ice cream? how many extra miles are you going to have to run to burn that off?" Or "it is the small everyday decisions that make your butt too big for your Jeans." THAT WILL ALWAYS KEEP ME MOTIVATED!

Great Job, I know how hard that is so keep it up. And... don't be afraid of accidentally tripping Joe as he Jogs backwards :0) Gotta keep him grounded!

Anonymous said...

Cyndi, I see you jogging along as Bill and I are taking a leisurely stroll. I need to kick up our pace, (Bill says we go too fast as it is). I am proud of you for pushing yourself. You are looking great!!! Keep it up!!!

rypoglow said...

Hey Cyndi. If you ever find yourself thinking that you look like an idiot while doing something fun, please reflect on all of the idiotic things I have done in front of you and/or Joe. I'm sure that this will bring you some comfort. Loving the new blog!

kdeighton said...

Great job, Cyndi! I know is tough getting up early run when I would much rather sleep in, but, oddly enough, I feel better during the rest of the day. Keep up the good work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails