Tuesday, August 2, 2011

21st Century Babysitting

A few weeks ago my mom, Evan’s beloved caretaker Nana, broke her ankle and wound up in a very heavy, very cumbersome, very not-summer-or-babysitting-friendly cast. She had to take some time off of taking care of Evan, and that’s where his three older brothers stepped in.

The boys have been gaining babysitting experience over the past year or so, first watching Evan while Joe and I ran to the store, or filling the gap between Joe leaving to take someone to soccer and me getting home from work. Then it progressed to covering for us on a date night and just like that…Joe and I had some semblance of a life back.

(Cue the sunbeams and chorus of angels.)

For the summer gig, we broke the day up into halves so neither Cam or Jerame had to steer the ship for a whole day (Brandon is the official babysitting sidekick and stand-in for bathroom breaks). I usually call a few times a day to check in, but to my surprise, the boys (usually Jerame) found an even better way to stay in touch...through the magic of cell phone cameras.

I can’t tell you how fun it is to be working hard to meet a deadline and see this pop up on my screen:

What a nice break, huh? Sometimes the pictures are informative and reassuring:

Other times, just amazingly cute.

BTW…”jungle boy” is our code for Evan’s alter ego. The one that finds extreme joy in ripping off his clothes and running around the house screaming.

The boys are fantastic with Evan and nine days out of ten are easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Then the tenth day happens:


Heal fast, Nana! I think your boy is wearing them down. :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails