Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh! The Baby's Got Mad Skillz


Evan is baby #4 for the hubs and me and not much surprises us anymore. This is not our first rodeo, y’all.

But everything is new for Evan’s big brothers, who were born in fairly quick succession and therefore were practically babies themselves the last time we had a baby in the house.

Everything Evan says and does and learns is amazing to them, which in turn is awesome for Joe and me. Because although it’s not our first “rodeo”, it’s the first one we’ve been able to share like this with our boys and it’s wonderful to see them interact with the newest kid on our block.

The most recent development that has fascinated the older three boys is Evan’s growing vocabulary. So far he’s limited to beginning sounds – ma, da, ba and a funny combination that sounds kind of like “oh deed oh!”. But his favorite word BY FAR is just plain “oh”.

A very, very simple word, he manages to use “oh” to express a jillion different meanings depending on his tone:

“Oh!” (I dropped my cup, can you please get it?)

“Oh!” (I dropped my cup on purpose but I’m acting like it was an accident and I’m so cute with these big blue eyes you won’t be mad anyway)

“Oh!” (Wow, that’s really cool!)

“Oh!” (which has become a synonym for “yes”).

And sometimes – usually when we’re trapped with him in the car on long rides – Evan will decide to say “oh” over and over and over again for no apparent reason other than to hear himself speak. It’s unnerving and funny and really annoying all at the same time (but so are kids in general, so I guess he’s right on track).

Recently on a somewhat long road trip our oldest son Cam decided to put Evan’s “oh” babbling to good use. He sang that annoying “Soulja Boy” song, pausing for Evan to fill in the “oh’s”. There’s no way I can possibly express how funny this was in type, but read the lyrics below and imagine a chubby faced one-year-old hollering the “oh” parts at the top of his voice.

Soulja Boy off in this…OH!
Watch me crank it, watch me roll!
Watch me crank dat, Soulja Boy
Then Superman dat…OH!

Soulja Boy off in this…OH!
Watch me lean then watch me rock
Superman dat…OH!

(Yes, I'm aware this is not a particularly kid-appropriate song, but take heart that our kids only sing the radio-friendly version. As far as we know.)

Here's a video of a less successful run they had at it a few days later. But it gives you a good idea of Lil' Eze mad rapping skillz.

video

That first day in the car was totally spot-on. Cam sang the song and Evan filled in the "ohs" over and over and over again, with the other two older boys enthusiastically joining in. Good for them that song is one chorus repeated ad nauseum, so the lyrics weren’t hard to come up with. We all ended up laughing hysterically.

At some point Joe looked over at me and we shared that look that comes more and more often as we raise this herd of rowdy little boys. It’s a combination of “This is the craziest thing yet today,” and “Oh God when will they ever stop?” and “Wow, we are so lucky.”

And we really, really are.

9 comments:

Brianne said...

That is so cute! It is great that they're enjoying their baby brother! :D

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

I have exchanged those very same looks with hubby too. They are great!:)

Lanita @ A Mother's Hood said...

I do this with my cats. I sing the song, "What's Up Pussy Cat." Then I wait for them to join the chorus of meow, meow, meow.

Yankee Girl said...

That is so sweet!

I can't wait to one day have a house full of rowdy (hopefully) boys!

hotpants™ said...

My little one isn't saying many words, but it's amazing to me how different her baby talk is than my son's was.

Welcome to SITS. We're happy to have you.

Elana said...

Hi from SITS! That sounds hilarious. My little boy likes all different sounds, too. Although I would never be able to get him to fill in the blanks...

See Mom Smile said...

I have shared that look with my hubby many times. Your boys are too cute. Oh, so cute :)

JenJen said...

HAHA that was awesome. Loved the headgear and am thinking about wearing some myself. Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

I show this video to Evan regularly. He loved to watch it. He says Yes and No occasionally to me. We feel fortunate that we get time with him. Today while Dad was serving Communion he was pointing and saying "O". Otherwise, he is very good in church. Love, MOM

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails