Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kicking Butt, One Karate Test at a Time


Our 11-year-old son Jerame was promoted at his karate school last night. He went from a red belt with two stripes to a bright blue belt that comes with a title - Cho Dan Bo - and signifies the step before black belt.

(The "black belt" is actually a deep blue belt, since the color black signifies "the end" and they don't ever want you to end, because then they wouldn't get a big fat tuition check out of you every month. Uh...I mean...they want you to continue to grow as a person. Yeah, that's it. )

Anyway, Jerame seriously kicked butt on his last test. That's the great thing about karate - you can use the words "kick butt" and it's not even a metaphor. He did so well that his instructor decided to let him test for black belt in six months instead of the customary year, which is pretty awesome and left a huuuge smile on my little guy's face.

Here he is being promoted last night:


And here he is today wearing his new dobok (translation: karate jammies). See the big smile? Cute, huh? Not exactly the expression you think you'd see on the face of a fifth grader who could literally end your life.


And here are our two oldest boys with the special plates they used at dinner tonight.


Cam got the "You Are Special" plate for getting all As on his report card. Jerame got the "Star of the Game" plate for his karate promotion (Cam used it last week for a soccer hat trick). My mom gave me the "Special" plate before I even had kids, knowing it would be something I would love to have for my future family. And knowing how much we love the "Special" plate, my sister-in-law found the "Game" plate for us last Christmas.

I looove these plates and when our kids are grown I just know they'll think back to the special times they got to use them. And they truly have to earn them: neither plate can go in the dishwasher and I don't hand wash for just anything. :o)

8 comments:

JenJen said...

I love those plates! I've seen the red one before....

My momma gave us special plates when we were young. I'll never forget them! I keep mine nice and safe in my china cabinet. AWESOME tradition starter!

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!!!

Yankee Girl said...

That is so awesome!

Congrats to your guy!

Of COURSE they can never finish...they MUST be lifers!

Heather said...

Way to go, Jerby! :)

JenJen said...

P.S..... how freaking cool is the spelling of his name??

Unknown Mami said...

Congratulations to Jerame and Cam and you!

Linda said...

Yes, he could kick my butt. And my heart with that cute face. And you are my hero for providing your kids with plates that can't go in the dishwasher. I left you a little something on my blog!!

Saimi said...

Congratulations to your Karate Kid!! There's nothing like raising boys, I had the privilege of raising three... Two are in college and one's serving a mission. :)

Double Wide Mom said...

congrats, Mommy for raising awesome boys!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails