Friday, March 26, 2010

Everything's Gonna Be Alright


Any woman who has ever raised a child has felt the powerful, all-consuming, mostly irrational force known as “mommy guilt”. My own mind works in such a vicious circle of mommy guilt it’s a wonder I don’t fall down on a regular basis due to sheer dizziness.

When I was a working mom, I felt awful that I wasn’t spending more time with my kids. But when I was able to stay home with Evan, I worried that he wouldn’t get the same interaction with other kids his age that his brothers had in daycare. Now that I’ve returned to work, I’ve also returned to feeling that there’s just not enough time in the day to show my kids how much I love and enjoy them. It’s a never-ending cycle of guilt.

So when I was reading a magazine lately and came across an article titled “Reasons the Kids Will Be All Right” I stopped to read every word. It was printed on the last page of Parenting: School Years, and we all know the very best things are always on that last magical page of a magazine.

It’s my hope that by giving them credit they won’t feel compelled to come after me for obvious copyright infringement. Because this list is too good not to share. It's funny, but it's also a nice reminder that we all just need to get a grip.

Reasons the Kids Will Be All Right
  • They hardly remember anything before age 2.

  • Your toddler is too small to understand what you called the #&*%! Who cut you off on the freeway.

  • Your tween is big enough to understand what you said – but smart enough not to repeat it in front of Grandma.

  • Sooner or later your child will come to see a large purple dinosaur as unsuitable marriage material.

  • There must be at least some trace minerals in chips.

  • Losing the spelling bee or suffering through a few years of braces actually does build character.

  • At some point, he’ll be interested enough in girls to bathe voluntarily.

  • Unless she’s the next Jennifer Garner, her awkward yearbook photo won’t haunt her for the rest of her life.

  • Because there are a million and one ways to raise kids right, and only a few ways to screw them up royally.


6 comments:

JenJen said...

Ahhhhhhhh I love it. That last quote is the best. I have been feeling guilty lately because I AM a stay-at-home mom (temporarily) and I feel the time I have with my daughter isn't as high-quality as she deserves. I mean, we play games, have tickle parties, and go outside together....but she does not consume every minute of my day. I think I maybe dedicate about an hour or two to doing something special with her each day. I feel miserable at the end of the day....or when I need to tell her "no" to a story......or when she doesn't get outside because I'm sick or not walking so well with my one-foot wonder leg.

Mommy guilt sucks. Thank you so much for the post. I am posting that last point on my mirror right now!!!

Law Momma said...

I needed this, this morning. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Guess what, Cyndi, the Mommy guilt doesn't stop, EVER. I worry about the things I did or didn't do in the past, the present and the future! Why didn't I go to San Antonio for Mark's graduation in 1991? Why did I leave Bryan in charge while I worked at age 12? Like you always say, "you need a license to fish but anyone can have a baby"! You kids all turned out fine and your kids will too. Dad and I think that you have done a super job and the kids are great. Don't worry and Love as much as you do now. Love you, MOM

Anonymous said...

Ok sis let me get this straight--you have an older son that has never got any less than "A"s. your second son has the manners and sense of humor beyound his years, a younger son that mirrors the best of his older brothers, and a year-old son that everyone absolutely adores, well heavens yes I can see why you would feel guilty. You are doing a great job. What you need to do is walk over to the mirror, look in, and say GOOD JOB. We are proud of who you are and what you are doing. Dad

Linda said...

Perfect list. I am also hoping there is nutritional value in mac and cheese and Top Ramen.

mrs. parker said...

lol- love # 2 and 3!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails