Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Someone Likes Me!!!

Okay, so check it out, y’all – I just got my first blogging award! Pretty isn’t it?



Big thanks to my buddy Suzanne over at Thirty: Own Up to Being Grown Up. I love her blog and apparently she likes mine, too. When she emailed to let me know she had chosen me as one of her seven favorite bloggers, she also gave me a great compliment:

“A Beautiful Blogger Award awaits you on my site. It's in honour of the fact that I cannot raise a houseplant, and you have managed to shelter four children. And blog. And be funny. Kudos!”

Little does she know that I too have killed every plant I’ve ever laid eyes on. Trust me, raising little boys is MUCH easier. :o) And if you’re wondering why Suzanne misspelled “honor” let me just tell you that she’s Canadian. You know how our neighbors to the north loooove their u’s. And I love Canada, so it's all good.

So thanks, Suzanne! It’s so nice to be liked. :o)

Now, if I have this right, according to the blog award “rules” I’m now supposed to reveal seven facts about myself and then pass the award on to seven other bloggers. So here goes with the first part.

Things you may or may not already know about me (whether you WANT to know them or not):

  1. I was raised in a house with three brothers (no sisters) and now I have four boys of my own (no daughters). I complain loudly and often about being surrounded by so much testosterone, but I secretly LOVE it. I totally understand and like boys and am happiest when surrounded by the smell of farts and 97 different shades of blue.

  2. When I was a kid my brothers and I had a contest to see how many starlite mints we could fit in our mouths. I think I was winning when I decided to take a big swig of Coke, at which point all of the mints became lodged in my throat. My brothers still talk about the candy shooting out of my mouth with the force of a machine gun as my dad Heimliched me.

  3. In high school I was a bonafide “bandzie” without having any musical talent or ever playing a note because I was on the colorguard (you know – the flags). This has not qualified me to do much in life other than be able to legitimately begin sentences with, “This one time, at band camp…”

    (Although NONE of my stories have anything remotely to do with flutes. Just sayin’…)

  4. I fell in love with my husband because he was wearing green jean shorts. It’s true – we grew up in the same small town and I never gave him a second look until sometime in college when we ran into each other and he was wearing green jean shorts and I thought he was incredibly hot. I’m not sure what that says about him for wearing green jean shorts or what it says about me for liking them, but that awfully strange fashion choice (although, to be fair it WAS the early 90’s) is what brought us together, so I guess it’s okay.

  5. I gave birth or three of my four kids naturally and probably could have gotten through the fourth birth without an epidural but I kind of wanted to see what the fuss was about. Plus, after four births I kind of figured I deserved some drugs. That I was owed some drugs. And let me tell you – it was FANTASTIC. That you can push almost a 9-pound baby through your nether reigions with no pain is truly a miraculous thing.

  6. I can only cook a handful of things with anything remotely resembling success – macaroni and cheese (not from scratch – out of the box), beef stew, spaghetti and pancakes. And yet my kids think I’m a world class chef. I hope they stay young and stupid forever.

  7. I watch entirely too much TV. You know those people who say “Oh, I hardly ever watch TV. I just don’t have time, and plus – there’s nothing worth watching”? Yeah, I totally don’t understand those people. I think the DVR is the greatest known invention in recent history (or at least second greatest, after TV) and the only reason I don’t flip out when the baby gets up in the night is that I know there’s all sorts of amazing things I’ve recorded that are just waiting for me. This includes really trashy reality television.

    Don’t you judge me.

  8. Our kids sleep so soundly that when I check on them before I go to bed I actually have to pinch their noses and wait for them to start to twitch a little before I’m completely sure that they’re not dead. Okay, I probably don’t HAVE to do that, but I do. This tidbit about their sleep habits is more about them than me, but it’s the reason I get several hours of decent sleep each night, and speaks to why I’m able to function on a daily basis.

Okay, so that was EIGHT things, not seven. Sometimes I get carried away.

Seven "Beautiful Bloggers"

So now I need to pass the “Beautiful Blogger Award” on to seven bloggers I read and admire. I have no idea if these bloggers have received the award before, and if they have let me apologize in advance for the overkill. They are my favorites, the ones I visit every morning and they make the rest of my day a little happier, and for that I thank them:

  1. Spilled Milk – I love reading Law Momma’s posts about her first year of motherhood. It takes me back to my own rookie days, although I think she handles them much better!

  2. Young House Love – I am absolutely obsessed with John and Sherry’s amazing projects in their first house. I plan to steal dozens of ideas from them for our own humble abode.

  3. Adventures of a Yankee Girl – This girl shares her life with wild abandon and makes me blush at least once a week. She has also made me laugh – a lot – ever since her first comment on one of my posts: “Holy BALLS I love your blog!”

  4. For Love or Funny – The title says it all. She sees the absurd in everyday life and cracks me up everytime I visit her site. I wish she would post hourly instead of daily. :o)

  5. It’s Hammie Time! – Stacy has been a friend of mine since high school and I love reading about her life as a Navy wife. Her husband recently left for Iraq and I am constantly amazed at her upbeat attitude. A graphic on her site says it all: Keep Calm and Carry On.

  6. Nobody Listens to the Girl – Beth was my very first commenter and I am so glad she found me. I love her writing style and am thrilled whenever I see a new post go up. Plus, she agrees with me that the skeleton is the most kick-ass Olympic event. Head-first down a sheet of ice? Yes, please!

  7. The Life of Bryan – Okay, I’m not sure how much my brother will appreciate a “Beautiful Blogger” award, but just because he’s got different plumbing that the rest of the bloggers I’ve featured here doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go check him out. You will laugh. A lot. He’s awesome.

Thanks again Suzanne!

10 comments:

Yankee Girl said...

Holy BALLS!

I cannot believe you gave me an award! That was so nice of you!

Congrats to yourself for receiving it! You really are a great blogger and are so much fun to read!

p.s. I don't usually use that many exclamation points. Sorry for the overkill!!!!!!!!!!

Sherry @ Young House Love said...

Thanks so much for the shout out! We're blushing over here. We're so glad you're enjoying our blog and we can't wait to check out the other sites that you mentioned. Happy blogging!

xo,
s (& j)

Linda said...

Congrats on your first award. I have four boys too. I think we both deserve an award for that. Happy SITS Wednesday.

cindy said...

God bless u for being surrounded by all those boys AND loving it. Congrats on your beautiful blog award as well

visiting from SITS

Law Momma said...

Congrats on your award!! It is so very much deserved as I love reading your blog. And I can't thank you enough for reading my little ramblings. Seriously... I really can't. Thanks, thanks, and thanks again!

Heidi Walker said...

Congrats and thanks for knowing how to pass on the good vibes. I like to see people who win awards to lift others up with them!

BTW I do not watch tv but that is because I put it in the basement. It was going out anyway. I do watch movies on the puter but the no TV thing has helped me be more adventurous (sp?).

Salsa Mom said...

I am in love, you are friggin funny! You actually remind me of me!! I too have 4 boys and all brothers, totally get the farting!!! I love TV, true, true, I don't have much time to watch it, but when I do, complete vegetative happiness. Forget Calgon, Direct TV take me away!!!
I am gonna follow you, I need to laugh at something besides myself.

Double Wide Mom said...

Love reading your blog! Can so relate to #5 I only started using drugs when they passed the 10# mark! Keep blogging! You're great!

Suzanne Westover said...

You deserve it. And I am so pleased that you didn't go all blaze and say, "Oh, another award. Send it to the Trophy Room. And fetch me my tea."

Congrats! And I don't totally beieve you about kids being easier than houseplants, but we're probably going head down that road pretty soon - kids, not house plants - and if we do, I reserve the right to say "YOU TOLD ME THIS WOULD BE EASIER THAN A PLANT. LIES! LIES."

Stacy said...

Aww....thanks for the award girlie!!! You are one of my favorite bloggers as wel! ***muah***

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails