Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Getting By With a Little Help From My Sisters

Recently my friend Cheryl, who I normally trust to hit the nail squarely on the head in almost every matter, threw me a little bit when she said, “You know, I think those polygamists are really on to something.”

I’m a huge fan of the HBO plural marriage drama “Big Love”, but this was a bit much even for me. After I re-hinged my jaw, I asked her to elaborate. “Come on,” she laughed. “Religion aside, wouldn’t it be nice to have some ‘sister wives’ to share the work with?”

I have to admit, she has a very good point. Cheryl and I and most of our other friends have great husbands who also happen to be very hands-on dads, but in families – as in most areas of life – everything rolls down hill and in this case usually ends up in the mom’s lap.

The thing is, I feel like I actually do have a pretty strong group of “sister wives” although I think I’ll call them “sister moms” to take the ewww factor out of it a little. Just today I needed a babysitter last minute and my bestie Shawn stepped right up to the plate to take Evan off my hands for a few hours. Technically, I think she was most excited to have her godson all to herself, but she came through in a pinch, something I can always count on her to do.

I’ll never forget the day when Shawn was in the office at our kids’ elementary school and watched as the principal marched my son Jerame into his office. Shawn is perhaps one of the most kind, soft-spoken, sweet women I’ve ever met, but without blinking an eye she asked Jerame if he was okay and asked the principal what was going on. She stuck up for my son as fast as she would for her own. Of course the principal wouldn’t tell her anything but I will love her forever for sticking up for my little guy.

(It’s important to note that the visit to the principal’s office was due to a misunderstanding and Jerame’s record was later expunged. Just saying...)

Cheryl is also one to come through in a clinch. Her son is Cameron’s best friend and they live right down the street so the two of them are almost always together at one of our houses. There have been entire weekends when Cameron has hung out at their house and on the flip side days will go by when Dylan camps out here. We call him the “bonus brother”. Cheryl takes Cam to school every day along with her brood and drops him off every afternoon, usually after stopping for a snack. My kids don’t get that kind of service from the school bus system, and we pay an enormous amount of taxes to keep that operation afloat.

I could go on and on, but the point is this – I am really lucky to be surrounded by a group of women who will just as quickly take care of my kids as their own. We count on each other just as much as if we were “sister wives” and probably like each other more because we don’t share a husband.

Ew.

Speaking of my own husband, although there are a lot of men who would quite enjoy the thought of having more than one wife to, uh, service his needs, my guy is NOT one of them. Recently after watching an episode of “Big Love” he shook his head and said, “Three wives? Whatever. It’s a wonder anybody wants one.”




7 comments:

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

This could possibly be the funniest comic I have ever seen...LOVE IT!

Me, Myself and Pie said...

It WOULD be nice to have someone around to share the housework...just not my husband. =) Hilarious comic!

Acting Balanced Mom said...

stopping by from SITS - love the comic... I've often told my husband that his second wife should love dusting and vacuuming - my two least fave chores... and be willing to nurse me back to health when I'm sick and whiny (not)...
(all in good fun of course)
I moved away from my regular support network, but have found some great mommy friends here in Charleston who are great in a pinch or a dash!

Unknown Mami said...

I'm not so good at sharing although I wouldn't mind a few spare husbands.

Unknown Mami said...

I linked to you today.

Cheryl said...

When I saw Unknown Mami's comment on her blog about your post, I had to come and read. After watching the show for a while, I was shocked to hear myself say the same thing as Cheryl. While I'm not so into the whole sharing the husband thing, I do like the idea of having "sisters" you can count on in a pinch. So glad you have that support without any of the ickiness attached to it. :)

Linda said...

Just found this. Love the cartoon. I have always said I wanted a wife. And I am a Mormon so I have a better chance than most! Thanks for the laugh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails